Sunday, August 25, 2013

Make-up for Starters (a.k.a. My Sister, LOL)

So... my sister, a college senior (I think, LOL), was asking me to teach her how to put on make-up the other day.  This wasn't the first time she sought for make-up advice from me, which got me thinking what was up with her.  She's usually the type to not really mind about how she looks and would just go out with a plain face.  For the past year, I think she's been using powder and whatnot, just because she was gifted them.  Nonetheless, I'm happy she's asking.  I feel like my hours of watching makeup tutorials/monthly favorites/etc. during breakfast paid off.  Yes, that is my guilty pleasure.  

Despite having no background or professional training on make-up, I've decided that instead of directly messaging my sister, I would come up with a blog post.  

I'm surprised at how fast I'm writing this.  Hahaha.  Anyway, the best way to learn I think is to watch tutorials on Youtube and try what they teach and experiment.  One of my favorite "makeup gurus" (as they call it in Youtube) is Tanya Burr.  But, I do pick up a few techniques from others too (Sonya, I will link my Youtube account to you so you can check. hahaha.).  

Collectively, it would definitely depend on you if you'd wanna skip some steps or take in everything I'd be writing.  These are just the usual things I do and use.  

The products I will be mentioning are not that expensive (sort of mid-range), cause this is aimed for starters anyway.


 On to the steps...

1.  Good skin care routine - This step would probably be the hardest in terms of recommending specific products, because we're all different when it comes to skin.  The point here is that, despite putting on makeup, we should have a good base for easier application and obviously, the healthier, the better.  As of now, I alternate between 2 cleansers (Olay & Face Shop).  I tone (and even clear makeup before cleansing) with the Bifesta water, which I really like.  It doesn't sting.  I use a serum for my moisturizer to absorb faster.  Its an additional step, but I think it helps.  For moisturizer I use Olay Total Effects for day and Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion for night. 

2.  Primer - This step is optional.  But to fully appreciate and maximize your base make-up, you might wanna add this step.  Now, I'm using Maybelline's Baby Skin.  You would instantly feel and see the smoothening effect.  I can't tell though if it helps with staying power.  Lol. 

3.  BB Cream / Foundation - If you're scared to jump right in, BB Cream might be a better choice as it would provide you lighter or a more sheer coverage.  It just might be tricky upon purchasing because shades are quite limited.  But if you're a confident one, then feel free to indulge in the magic that is liquid foundation.  There are several types, but I think the one that gives you best coverage would be liquid.  I am currently trying out the Ponds BB Cream in .  Revlon Colorstay is the foundation I use when I feel like I need extra coverage.  Foundation, might be a thing you can splurge on cause its your "base" and what first touches your skin.  Foundation is best applied with a brush in my opinion, but feel free to use your fingers or a sponge.  Fingers are better for BB Cream.

4.  Concealer - If you have dark circles and blemishes, concealer would be your best friend.  Sometimes, this is all I need under powder for everyday.  I am finishing up my Maybelline concealer as apparent in the photo.

5.  Powder foundation - Personally, I prefer powder foundation just in case I'd skip foundation or BB cream.  At least with this you'd already get to even your complexion.  You can use any powder (loose / translucent / mineral) to lock in your foundation or BB cream, especially when going for a matte finish.  Don't be fooled by the casing in the photo.  The casing is a former L'oreal product, which I believe has been faced out.  My powder at the moment is from Maybelline.  I broke my MAC Studio Fix and opted for a cheaper one to replace it.  I apply this with a powder brush.


6.  Eyebrow Kit - With all the powder and base make-up on, your brows might look less alive, so we have to groom them a bit.  I use the In2It eyebrow kit, which I find to be a good value-for-your-money product.  I use this to fill in gaps and bring back the color of my brows, especially those that have been stained by foundation.  Because my hair is has a bit of a color now, I try to even my brows out or make it a bit lighter by coloring the hairs of it with a brow tint.  The one in the photo is by Elf.

7.  Blush - This is the key to not look sick or pale.  Ever since high school I've used The Body Shop's Lip and Cheek Stain.  You can use your fingers to blend it in, but I use a kabuki brush cause it could easily transfer to your fingers.  Its more natural than powder blush.  Apply dots on the apples of your cheeks then blend quickly.  Apply little by little cause a lot of product might make your cheeks too pink.

8.  Bronzer - Ummm.. Sonya, you don't need this.  I use this to "slim" my face.  Lol.  Its usually applied below the cheekbones and the jawline to "chisel" your face.

9.  Eyeliner - This is probably the product that will give the most obvious effect.  It would make your eyes less sleepy.  Asian eyes, bigger.  Pencil will be the easiest form of eyeliner to use.  A dark brown shade will give you just enough definition compared to the usual black which will give you more drama.  So, it would really depend on what you're going for.

10.  Gloss - I decided to use the lip and cheek tint to give a little color (as if I constantly bite my lip, lol) then just top it off with gloss or balm. 


To improve application, brushes would also be a good investment, but some good ones could be really pricey.  This post would get longer if I start talking about what each brush does, but I'm pretty sure you could imagine how each one works.  I put them beside the products I use them with on the photos above.

Oh, and also, MASCARA!  But for my lashes, which are pretty straight and short, I really need to curl them first before applying mascara.  So, that adds lash curler.  So for eyes, liner, curler, and mascara are basically all you need.

So, that's it. :) Hmm... I hope this helped.






4 comments:

  1. nice post! i bet Sonya learned a lot :D -her college friend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for leaving a comment. :) hopefully, i wanna see her try. hahaha.

      Delete
  2. nice products <3your blog is very lovely and interesting. im glad if you visit my blog, too <3 keep in touch!

    xx
    beauthi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete