Sunday, November 18, 2012

Travel Diaries: Hong Kong (Victoria Harbor & Ocean Park)

Its almost going to be a month after the trip, but I haven't posted everything yet.  Anyway, we're almost nearing the end of it. Hahaha.

After Bangkok, we headed to Hong Kong and reached our hotel, Shamrock Hotel, early evening.  In the lobby, they had this Minicards stand and when I saw it I wanted to get one of each!  It was actually quite helpful.  The Philippines should come up with something similar, but of course not too similar. 



Our hotel was located along Nathan Road, a strip of shops, malls, and smaller roads that lead you to small noodle places and the like.  On the flight to Hong Kong, I read the book that my sister lent me, Top 10: Hong Kong, by DK Eyewitness Travel, which was pretty useful since it had a map in it.  Information was in bullets so it was easier to read.  It was also small enough to bring along the trip.


We just had a quick dinner and a short stroll around the area.  We did a lot of train riding during the trip.  It was so convenient!  Our hotel was located just a few steps away from the Jordan Station.

The next day was packed!  But it wasn't as tiring as Day 2 of Bangkok.  We had a city tour.  First up, we headed to Victoria Harbor.  Although it didn't rain, it was foggy and we didn't get to see much of the buildings and it was quite windy.  For most of the time that we were there, the weather was comparable to Baguio weather.


I chose this photo to prove that it was windy. LOL.
Along the harbor, was the Avenue of Stars where we noticed many Filipino tourists as well.


We headed to a few more places in between, but only spent minutes for every place that we went to except maybe for the jewelry shop we visited.  The other major activity for the day was Ocean Park, Hong Kong's infamous theme park.

According to my companions who've been there before, a lot has improved.  Half a day isn't enough since Ocean Park closes pretty early; 6:00 PM if I recall right.

Boom boom with the dragon tatoo.

The Grand Aquarium



Old Hong Kong
To get to the second "phase" of Ocean Park, we rode the cable car going up.  It looked like it was going to rain the whole day.


View from the top.  I have a farther version, but its all foggy and you won't see much anymore.

The scariest ride I've seen.  I don't think any of us were brave enough to try this.
 Ocean Park, like any other theme park had kiosks scattered around the place.  There was this one kiosk that sells squid that's cut thin and pressed so you could tear it off easily.  Unfortunately, I wasn't able to take a photo of it, but I like it so much I wish there was something similar in the Philippines.  There was another stall in Disneyland selling the same thing, but again, I wasn't able to take a photo.    


While waiting for the rest at our meeting place, I took a photo of my "arm candy". LOL.  I am not used to saying that actually, therefore the LOL.  I got the turquoise and gold and the cream bracelets from Bangkok. Accessories make fine souvenirs from trips.


And that ended our day, picture-wise at least. Next post will be about Disneyland. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment